Tuesday....Moving Day

Zhenia asked us all to be ready by 9:00am. At about 9:15am we call Zhenia to let him know we are all waiting in the van. He was delayed with more paperwork so we all went to camp to pick up the Boycott's daughter and a friend so they could go to her birth place to get her birth certificate. An hour or so later we return and Mark and I were told it will be 2pm or so before we will sign documents. So we wait.... It's always hurry up and wait here. But worth all the wait time in the world.

We sign documents and then wait about an hour and sign more documents. Then we wait some more... Finally it's time to go get the kids! Wooo! Hooo! They will be leaving camp and the orphanage forever. I have been concerned for the girls when it comes time to leaving for good. I have tried to imagine their lives up until this point. It's hard to take it all in.

The camp was buzzing with excitement! All the kids knew that Anya, Tanya, Tanya G. and Artuem are leaving! We brought gifts for the teachers. Artuem's teacher was there to greet us and sent for the other teachers. We were introduced for the first time to Tanya's teacher. She seemed like a nice lady. We gave her a gift and said thank you for caring for Tanya. Then, Svetlana, Anya's teacher arrived with Anya. Svetlana is a very kind sweet person who is obviously loved by all the kids. We presented her with her gift and she began to cry. I hugged her tightly and said thank you for loving my girls. Yes yes yes....I was crying too! I asked how long she had been their teacher. All the girls around counted and said 7 years! She has been momma to Anya. Svetlana asked that I please keep in contact with her. We exchanged addresses and phone numbers. She pulled me aside with Zhenia and told me Anya has had a very very hard life...alot of hurt and pain. She asked if I was a Christian. I said yes, that God is the one who brought me to Anya and Tanya. She said Tanya is good she just needs someone with patience and kindness. She said she is making progress; she is now able to say 'I'm sorry' when she is wrong. I told her we can see a sweetness to both girls and that along with God we will always love them. She said she wants her to have a future and to be loved. I told her that's what we are here for. Tears were flowing during the conversation. Zhenia while interpreting was tearing up as well. It was so hard to hear what my girls have been through. I am sure more will come with time. Anya shared some with Linda but does not want me to know...she said she does not want us to feel sorry for her! All Anya's friends were circled around and they asked if they could spend the night again. Of course and I asked for two nights. Svetlana agreed! Yeah! Slumber Party!

All this time, Tanya was not to be seen. When walking to the car she was there standing in a huddle of friends. All were hugging her as she stood with a sad face. Once in the car she was a little quiet for a bit then seemed ok. Once home Mark and Anthony went to the market. I started food. We had dinner Furr's style! Blinchkes aka pancakes, cucumbers, tomatoes, grilled cheese sandwiches, fruit etc. They ate till they were about to pop and the settled down and watched a movie. Soon they all fell asleep.

1 comment:

Dunham Family said...

Wonderful post! So, so happy for you all!