Today we went to the camp where most orphans stay for the summer. Two words....tough day! If the conditions there were not bad enough, the workers are less than desirable. Dara, our translator, was telling us one of the 'counselors' was yelling and cursing at the kids. It was very obvious none of the workers wanted to be there. The kids are not supervised at all and they roam around everywhere unattended. They were so hungry for love and attention. I absolutely loved watching Mark interact with each of them. Sue brought toy parachutes for them. Mark was the official parachute instructor. Once they mastered it they looked to him for approval. So precious. All the kids were hanging on us; begging for hugs and love. One little girl said to Mark that she wanted him to adopt her. Just crushed us. We wish we could bring back all of them.

At lunch time we noticed kids with hands full of bread. We were told that they get very little to eat and bread is easily supplied to help fill them up. Most of them were eager to use their english with us and proud to do so.

I sat with on little boy and he was so beautiful but so sad. He slowly sat down at the picnic table with us. He told me his name and that he is 12 years old. He asked me if it was nice in America? I said I like it. He began to tell us that some of the 'counselors' are smoking marijana and drinking but he would never do such things! He was a sweet boy. I will never forget those sad blue eyes.

When we arrived at the camp we thought we would see Anya and Tanya right away. But we could not locate them. Soon Vika and Sergey, Denis and Oksana arrived with happy faces. Oh it was awesome to see them! I met them when I was here in October. Finally we see the girls but only with sad faces. Tanya especially. She was upset that when she called yesterday we could not pick her up. OY! Anya was ok but a little miffed. When we were leaving the driver asked Tanya why she was so upset and rude. She said I am only going to America because Anya is going. I don't want to be American, I am Ukranian. She is so scared and masks it with anger.

Once we arrived home, the Thomas family came up for a bit. They left quickly because the girls were being difficult. We had a bit of a rough time. Details later. They finally calmed down and we watched movies and had dinner. Tanya left her plate on the table and I asked her to take it to the kitchen. She did!! That's progress. Tonight when she got into bed (when she's tired she goes right to bed!) I sat in the chair beside her and she listened to music on my phone while I downloaded pictures. She let me whisper in her ear without jerking away...Ya tibia lu blu...I love you but quickly turned away. I showed her pictures on the computer from yesterday. Then she showed me a scary video...you know the one that the face pops up and scares the tar out of you? Yes I screamed. She so loved that! She laughed so hard. Then she fell asleep. Sweet end to a difficult day.

Alina, Anya's friend, missed the train and she asked if she could spend the night. Cool that she asked. We said of course. Alina is 17 and not adoptable but I think I am going to stuff her in our suitecase. She is adorable....very outgoing and silly and speaks english pretty well. When she arrived she was hungry so we fed her alot! Now they are on the palate on the floor watching an American movie dubbed in Russian. Kinda funny to watch.

Please continue to pray for the girls especially Tanya. We have an appointment with Assistant Chief of the SDA to sign documents on Thursday at 3pm. Tanya boldly said today just before dinner she will say no to being adopted. We believe Tanya has been told by many caretakers aka 'counselors' at the camp that America is bad, we are going to treat her badly and that she is betraying Ukraine if she goes. There was some teachers in the orphanage that told them the same thing! Again, pray.

We so appreciate the many words of encouragment and your prayers. This is tuff stuff!

No comments: